Monday, June 22, 2009

Highlights and Lowlights of the Summer








The summer has come fast and furious and I'm trying to enjoy it as much as possible as it already seems like it's already over! Here are some highlights and lowlights so far:

Highlights:

My parent's came for a visit and the kids loved their time once again with them. My mother's ability to never stop loving on the kids while still managing to clean my house amazes me. I don't ask, she just does.

They watched the kids while my husband took me one evening to a rock concert. We had a great time. Just to go somewhere together without kids sometimes is such a treat!

During their stay I also attended a 3 day Practicum for Classical Conversations. I've decided to be a tutor this year. The conference was very exciting as it reminded me our home school goals and how to strive for excellence in this Classical way. It was exhausting. Including travel time it was from 8-5 and I came home admiring all the working mother's in this world wondering how they do it!!

We have so enjoyed our pool. We put an above-ground pool in our back yard last year ( an Esther Williams from Craigslist!) and have soo enjoyed it in this hot hot weather lately.

My handsome hubby has been given a great compliment at work. I'm so proud of him and know that he is such an excellent man. In this economic struggle I know that we all hold things loosely, yet I want to pause to be thankful what we do have, knowing that can all change momentarily.

Some lowlights:

Weaning Judah. I had such a hard time with this! I know it seems silly to many, but since Samantha, I cherish each stage more and therefore that finality of this baby stage was difficult! I cried for a week but he did just fine.

Kid's waking up in the morning covered with bug bites. In our wooded lot with all the rain breeds many mosquitoes. Poor Judah, swells up so it looks like a ping pong ball is under his skin. Learning more about bug sprays and using mouthwash as a spray...?

Bunnies eating my strawberry plants. Peter and Benjamin are losing their cuteness in my eyes fairly quickly!

My 'second parents' from home are struggling. This fine couple was such a great part of my growing up years. They encouraged me in Christ in so many ways. They introduced me to Hillsdale College, where I attended, graduated and even got married from. She is struggling with Alzheimers and it's breaking our heart. Realizing the need to get up there to Michigan to say our goodbyes has been very difficult.

4 comments:

The Lady of the Holler said...

Hey Laura -- if those bug bites are showing up in the morning, they might be chigger bites (unless of course you've seen the mosquitoes biting, and then of course they would be mosquito bites :o)). We've got chiggers on our lawn, and I hate them! Bites are SO itchy! Geranium oil is supposed to be a good bug deterrent -- we used that for a bit, and then ran out and I haven't gotten any more yet.

Glad you're having a fun summer otherwise. :o)

Laura said...

Thanks Stacia! I didn't know we had them around here. I'll read up on them...

Carrie S said...

Let me know what you find out about the bug bites, please! Noah reacts terribly to bug bites, especially mosquitos - we know it was mosquitos for him. Last summer was terrible. I stocked up on regular bug spray when it was cheap, because it works on him and he's a little older, but I'd love to find a more natural alternative that actually works!

Kim said...

Love the CP pics, what fun!! Don't you just love the visits from the grands, the reason she can multi-task so readily, many years of previous practice.