Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Drawing Goals

I have a bad habit with my drawing in that I have started many pieces, feeling like I get what I wanted captured well enough, then move on to another. Thus resulting in several unfinished pieces. This month of January I'm going to try to finish these three:


I have been wanting to do a beach series. This is the first one of the series. I love rocks. They are wonderful to draw too. I need to finish the smaller rocks and add much more contrast overall in order to finish them.



What can be more fun to use color with than fall leaves? The ginkgo particularly have always been one of my favorites. Prismacolors are a dream. You can work them in a way the end result looks more like a painting than a colored pencil piece. You can get the colors to run together and they are so smooth. I need to move on and finish the less vibrant leaves.



I have started this portrait of Josh holding Samantha. In this case I've stopped because I'm afraid to mess it up. Sometimes I work too long on a piece and then undo all that I've done. I need to be brave and finish it. It needs more contrast and more work on Josh's hair (one of my least favorite features to work on).



I better get busy.




4 comments:

lotta said...

Laura, these are lovely. Best of luck with completing them.

The Lady of the Holler said...

The portrait of Josh with Samantha is beautiful, Laura! You're so talented!

Mrs. MK said...

My word, the portrait is just beautiful!

Carrie S said...

God has definitely given you a special gift. I especially LOVE the portrait of Josh and Samantha - gorgeous!