Saturday, October 18, 2008

Amazing Grace


Amazing Grace ! How sweet the sound,
That saved a wretch like me !
I once was lost,but now am found.
Was blind but now I see.

In evil long I took delight,
Unawed by shame or fear;
Till a new object met my sight,
And stopped my wild career.

I saw one hanging on a tree,
In agonies and blood;
Who fixed his languid eyes on me,
As near his cross I stood.

Sure, ne’er until my latest breath,
Can I forget that look;
It seemed to change me with his death,
Though not a word He spoke.

My conscience felt and owned the guilt,
And plunged me in despair;
I saw my sins HIS BLOOD HAD SHED,
And helped to nail Him there.

Alas, I knew not what I did,
But all my tears were vain;
Where could my trembling soul be hid,
For I the LORD had slain.

A second look He gave that said;
“I freely all forgive” !
This blood is for my ramson paid,
“I died that thou mayest live.”

Twas Grace that taught my heart to fear,
And Grace my fears relieved;
How precious did that Grace appear,
The hour I first believed.

Through many dangers,toils and snairs,
I have already come;
Tis Grace hath bro’t me safe thus far,
And Grace will lead me home.

The LORD has promised good to me,
His word my hope secures;
His will my sheild and portion be,
As long as life endures.

Yes ! when this flesh and heart shall fail,
And mortal life shall cease,
I shall possess within the vail,
A life of joy and peace.

The earth shall soon dissolve like snow,
The sun forbear to shine;
But GOD who called me here below,
Shall be forever mine.

When we’ve been there ten thousand years,
Bright shining as the sun;
We’ve no less days to sing GOD’S praise,
Than when we first begun !


John Newton 1725-1807, full 13 verses

No comments: