Monday, August 4, 2008

Putting one foot in front of the other

While Samantha was living we had planned to wait at least a year to think about any more children because I get so sick with my pregnancies. I wanted to fully be able to care for her and knew that wouldn't be possible if I was pregnant again. God has His own plans for us. To our surprise, one week after Samantha's death, we found out I was pregnant! In His perfect timing I didn't start getting sick until 2 weeks after she passed away.

It was a difficult winter. I was battling fear of the new pregnancy and was flooded with grief. I was afraid her memory would go too quickly and I was not ready for time to move forward. It was during this time that was just as difficult if not more so then the previous months. During the time we had with Samantha, I was on survival mode- all the way through the funeral and shortly after. After life starts to resume it's course, the grief seemed to try to plow me over. Also by this time the calls and letters started to become more infrequent, so I was left to my own thoughts. Our pastor recently gave the hope and gospel from Ephesians 1 and encouraged everyone to plant these truths and promises in their hearts now, before there are trials. As Christians, we know that there will be suffering, it's not an if.

Romans 5:1-5

1Therefore, since we have been justified through faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, 2through whom we have gained access by faith into this grace in which we now stand. And we rejoice in the hope of the glory of God. 3Not only so, but we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; 4perseverance, character; and character, hope. 5And hope does not disappoint us, because God has poured out his love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit, whom he has given us.

Prepare for the trials now. Read the Word, try to understand His Promises, plant them in your soul. I encourage all believers to arm themselves with the Truth and Gospel so that you can be ready for what life brings you. My heart breaks for everyone who goes through life's heartaches and terrible trials without Christ and hope. And for all that do not know or believe the gospel, I pray that you turn to Christ now. If you want to know more what that means go here. For more on suffering or struggling with contentedness listen to When You Don't Like Where You Are here.

No comments: